Sunday, July 15, 2012

We Made It!

After a day and a half of traveling we are finally in India! Getting here was slightly crazy at times but we didn't miss any flights and we are alive. What more can I ask for?

Our flight from Texas to London was 30 minutes late taking off due to security issues and once we landed the gate wasn't working. Eventually we were evactuated from the back of the plane and put on buses. We made it to our transfering gate with only seconds to spare. We were some of the last to board the plane, but we made it!

As soon as we landed in Chennai Jamie and I spotted 2 American boys. It was pretty easy to assume that they were here for Rising Star so we followed them. That was a good idea, because the crowds of Indian men starring and pointing as we walked out was a bit scary at 4 in the morning.

The 5 of us that arrived this morning had the brilliant idea of staying awake all day so that we'd be able to sleep really well tonight. We played spoons with sugar packets and ventured out to the streets in attempts to stay awake.
 

We spotted a cow walking down the street. They are holy here and basically do whatever they want to.



Around noon we decided to watch a movie and about 3 minutes into it we were gone. We woke up 6 hours later. So much for staying up all day!

The people here are so beautiful! I love being the minority and being surrounded by a different culture. Everyone is more than kind to us and are willing to help with anything.

The rest of our team has been arriving at the Marriot through out the day and in the morning Rising Star will pick us up and take us to their campus 2 hours away. I'm excited to finally meet the kids and put names with all the cute faces that I've been seeing in pictures.

4 comments:

  1. yay! I love this and am so glad you're already having a great time! I love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, you are such an inspiration to me! You are so full of love! Be safe and have a great time- I love reading about your adventures on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa I'm so excited to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you made it! Sounds like a fun first day! I am soooo happy you are doing this blog! I love reading and seeing all he pictures! Sounds like you are doing great so far!

    ReplyDelete