Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 4

I'm so sad that I don't have pictures from today, it was so fun! My group was on education, so we spent the whole morning at the school tutoring kids. We were asked not to take picutres during school, but we snapped a few between classes.

This is the book that I read over and over today. I now know more about the number twelve than I ever thought I could.

Waiting in the library for our next students.


 I loved tutoring because it gave me one-on-one time with the kids for the first time. I could focus on each individual and learn their strengths.

The day was really just a tender mercy. Last night I was talking to my mom about my experiences with the kids. I think that they are all adorable but I hadn't made the connections that I wanted to. I felt like the number of kids was overwhelming and that I would never learn any of the kids names. At playtime there are so many kids running around and so far family time has consisted of me frantically trying to divide my attention between the girls.

But today I had nothing but personal time with individual children, even outside of school. At playtime one of the girls came to me and we played together for the majority of playtime. She sat on my lap while eating her snack and I helped her across the monkey bars. Look how cute she is!


I saw a boy sititng alone away from the playground so I went over and sat by him for the last few minutes. He told me all about his family and he asked about mine.


Tonight at family time a group of the girls wanted me to read to them. I read a different version of Beauty and the Beast to them and we discussed it as we went. We finished and one of the younger girls was asleep on my lap. I put her to bed and talked with the older girls until time to leave.

Today was exactly what I needed. I needed to know someone deeper than their name, age, and standard (grade in school). And today I received just that.

1 comment:

  1. Man I wish you were able to take pictures! What a great experience. I love that you had to read the same book over and over again! I do that so many times with my kids. I have many books memorized! Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete