Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 6


It's Saturday! We got to spend the day as tourists. We drove 2 hours to Pondicherry and spent the afternoon there. I was excited to receive an elephant blessing but we got there and they told us that the elephant had a fever. So that didn't happen.
We stepped off of the bus and the people swarmed us. All of the local people pulled out their cell phones to take our picture. It was a moment of feeling like celebrities.

We basically just spent 5 hours shopping. I bought some churidars, the traditional clothing that is worn here, and lots of other things that I probably don't need. But hey, It's not every day that you get to shop in India.

This is a few of us picking out our churidars


For lunch we went to a little resturant above a leather shop. I bought the Classic Beef Burger. Definitely not beef. When I ordered it I didn't even think of the fact that they don't have real beef here. Cows are holy. I'm not exactly sure what the "beef" on my hamburger really was and it's probably best that I don't know. It was the most disgusting burger that I've ever had, but it was so good at the moment just because it wasn't curry.


 As we were walking back to the buses we met a man that is a palm reader. So for 50 rupees I had my palm read. I couldn't understand everything that he was saying but I did catch a few things:

-I will have good economical success
-I will live a long life
-My lucky stone is topaz
-My friends and family will be healthy
-After I get married I will be very happy
-I will travel around the world to help people
(that was interesting because I didn't tell him why I am here)
-I will go to school and gain a good education


Sounds like a pretty good life to me!


Saturday night is movie night for the kids. Tonight we watched an older movie, I'm not sure what it was called but it was in english. One of the kids, Mariyambee, came and sat by me and told me that it was boring. So we just talked in the back. She got to talk to her parents on the phone during the movie. It was fun to see her so excited and to hear about her family and life back home.


1 comment:

  1. What a fun day! I am so glad you get to see at little bit of India and not have to work everyday! Looks like you are doing so well! Can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete