Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 1

Today we made our way to the volunteer house on campus. It was an easy day of settling into our rooms, sitting through orientation, and meeting the kids. Oh the kids. 200 little faces with big brown eyes yelling "Auntie! Auntie!".  Every day from 4-6:30 we get to join in on "play time". So fun.

I found this girl on the playground crying. It took a few mintues before she would come to me, but eventually she let me hold her. One of the older girls told me that she is new and doesn't know english. It turns out she had hit her head on the playground equipment. 


It took a little while but I eventually got a smile out of her :)


The kids love to talk and they all expect you to remember their names. It wouldn't be too hard if they weren't all tamil names. I can't even pronounce them with help, the kids just laugh at me or get frustated and walk away. Hopefully I start to get them soon!


The kids are split into families and are given a house mother. Each volunteer is assigned to a family and every night we have family time. We help with homework, play games, and help get the kids to bed. Me and 3 other girls are assigned to a family of about 20 girls.
We painted the girls nails tonight and then they painted ours.
I ended up with one purple hand and one pink hand.They loved it!
It turns out that the girl I found crying on the playground is in my family.

As you can see it was an easy day. Tomorrow we start working. Our team is split into 3 groups. The three groups rotate and spend each morning doing medical, community service, or education. My team is "Cobra". Hopefully that doesn't mean we'll run into any. We get to start with medical. Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. That girl is adorable! And it's a good thing we didn't paint your nails before hand! I love you =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What what a great first day. I can picture you there, just waiting to connect with the kids. You are so amazing. I love that your team name is Cobra! That is hilarious since you were so afraid of seeing one! Hope that does happen but if it does get a picture please!

    ReplyDelete